German ethanol production down in 2018, consumption up

By Erin Voegele | June 05, 2019

The German Bioethanol Industry Association (Bundesverband der deutschen Bioethanolwirtschaft – BDBe) has reported ethanol production within the country fell last year. Sales of the fuel, however, were up.

According to BDBe, German ethanol production reached 613,000 metric tons (205.24 million gallons) last year, down 8.9 percent when compared to 2017. Sales of ethanol, however, were up 3 percent when compared to the prior year.

The overall gasoline market in Germany declined by approximately 2.5 percent between 2017 and 2018, falling to approximately 17.8 million metric tons. Ethanol consumption increased to approximately 1.2 metric tons.

The BDBe reported just under 110,000 metric tons of ethanol was used for ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE) production in 2018, down 1.4 percent from 2017. Ethanol as an additive increased by 3.1 percent, with total ethanol use up 2.7 percent.

The total percentage of ethanol by volume of gasoline was 6.3 percent in 2018, up from 6 percent in 2017.

Data released by BDBe indicates four ethanol production facilities were operational in Germany last year, with a combined capacity of 753,590 metric tons.

BDBe reported that feed grains were used as feedstock for approximately 79 percent of the ethanol produced in Germany last year, with the remaining 21 percent manufactured from sugar beet pulp. A small portion of ethanol was also manufactured from residual and waste materials.