Susanne Retka Schill

Sue Retka Schill is senior editor at BBI International, writing and editing for Ethanol Producer Magazine and assisting with the editing of other BBI titles, including Biomass Magazine. She started working with BBI International in late 2006 and has written on a  variety of topics for Ethanol Producer Magazine, Biodiesel Magazine and Biomass Magazine. She has over 30 years of experience in reporting on agriculture and rural life for regional publications and community newspapers.

Latest Posts by Susanne Retka Schill

March 26, 2015

Maintenance managers meet to share experiences, meet vendors

Ethanol maintenance managers met in Des Moines, Iowa, for their semiannual gathering to meet with vendors and learn from each other. In the best attendance yet, nearly 50 maintenance managers from plants in 12 states gathered, along with 85 vendors. READ MORE

March 25, 2015

Croda to manufacture surfactant from ethanol, opening new market

Croda Inc. is planning to break ground on a $170 million upgrade to its Atlas Point manufacturing site in Delaware. When completed, the company will begin converting between 10 million and 14 million gallons of ethanol into into ethylene oxide. READ MORE

March 23, 2015

California demo produces first low-carbon, whole-beet ethanol

Mendota Bioenergy makes first whole-beet ethanol in California demonstration facility. Technology promises carbon intensity rating of 22 to meet state's Low Carbon Fuel Standard. READ MORE

March 18, 2015

Patriot Renewables featured in Car Clinic radio show

Bobby Likis featured Judd Hulting, commodities manager at Patriot Renewable Fuels LLC, in Annawan, Illinois, during his two-hour Saturday morning radio show, Bobby Likis Car Clinic, on March 14. READ MORE

March 16, 2015

The 2014 D3 RIN Leap—For Biogas

Introducing renewable natural gas, the new player in the cellulosic RINs market. READ MORE

March 13, 2015

Economists examine DDGS price risk for ethanol profitability

In the current tight ethanol margin environment, strong distillers grains markets have partially offset some of the pressures of the energy market. Economists examine factors influencing distillers grains pricing in a recent FarmDoc Daily post. READ MORE

March 13, 2015

Yearning For New Yeasts

What’s holding up approvals for modified microorganisms? READ MORE

March 10, 2015

USDA lowers corn ending stocks based on new ethanol crush report

USDA lowered the projected corn ending stocks in the March World Agriculture Supply and Demand report by 50 million bushels. Corn use for ethanol production is now project to be 5.20 billion bushels for the current marketing year. READ MORE

March 05, 2015

Ethanol industry pretax profit estimated at $7.8 B for 2014

The U.S. ethanol industry came off its best streak of profitability in January, one that ran 95 consecutive weeks without a loss for the model Iowa plant used to estimate and track industry profitability. READ MORE

March 04, 2015

Corn crush, DDGS production down slightly in January

Corn consumed for fuel ethanol was 445.7 million bushels in January, down 2 percent from December, but up 3 percent from November. Dry mills used 89.3 percent of that, while wet milling fuel production consumed the remaining 10.7 percent. READ MORE